Wine From Outer Space

Wine From Outer Space is intoxicating, unearthly and surprising. It's also where I write about whatever I choose, and that's nice.

11 July 2005

. . . Of Robots and Vikings

Deconstructing and providing background regarding one's screen name or e-mail address can, in some instances, reveal personal information. It seems to me the Digital Age equivalent of rifling through your wallet or purse, examining the detritus to glean what I can about the owner. Robovike, my screen name, is a simple combination of Robot and Viking--two things I enjoy immensely.

I like robots, of the 1950s and '60s sci-fi variety, which in my archetypal ideal are boxy, stiff, menacing, and speak in a loud and pinched monotone. In my world, robots are self-aware and aggressive, if slow moving. These robots have pincers or claws, perhaps terrible saw-like instruments as appendages, and emit light rays with devastating effects. These are robots that, as is the popular rule in sci-fi, "turn against their masters and run amok." The Japanese are developing robots to help in factories and around the home. I even saw something on the news about a dance partner robot. These are all fine first steps, but until the first of these models goes berserk and rampages through the warehouse or across the dance floor, I will remain dissatisfied.

Vikings: the professional Minnesota football team, though several detractors from Wisconsin and elsewhere may question the "professional" part. The team members are paid, however, so I guess the definition fits. No Randy Moss this year, but personally I don't mind--I'm sure he wants to get a Superbowl ring (and as hopeful as I am I don't see one right around the corner in Minny), and frankly I feel what he was paid did not come close to what he was supposed to produce on the field. Kleinsausser returns this season, which is exciting, and I look forward to the new roster of players. We have a new owner (Zygi Wilf) and new plans for a new outdoor stadium (the Twins are getting one too, so I don't know if that means the time is ripe). I can only guess as to whether he will further penalize or even fire head coach Tice for scalping those Superbowl tickets last year--the NFL fined Tice $100,000--but as far as I know there are no viable candidates out there at the moment.

Oh, and as for the "Wine From Outer Space," I think it first appeared as the title of a mix tape I made. It seemed more interesting than something like "Mix Tape" or "Mix." I always thought that it would be a good name for a band (as would "Robots vs. Elves"), but seeing as how I have no musical talent and no patience to learn an instrument (or even a 303, for God's sake), I use it here.

Anyway, following posts will deal with whatever catches my fancy, and it's my nature as a cruel despot and brutal petty tyrant to foist on you, dear readers, whatever I feel like foisting. Commentary on events of the day, political wrangling, religion vs. spirituality, culture vs. kulture, technology, books, movies, music, and yes, even robots (and perhaps elves) are some of the topics likely to see installment here.

Thanks for shopping!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Mishegasmaster said…

    wow! this is a great read/write for a first time out! where did you receive your training from, mni? ;)

    in all reality, this is a great post, i mean it most sincerely!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home